Join WINGS for Kids to Promote #SELinAfterschool Day
Tuesday, April 24, 2018
We think our community has something to celebrate! To build awareness of the important intersection of social emotional learning (SEL) and afterschool, we’re creating a milestone day that highlights the positive impact of SEL in afterschool programming. We see SEL in Afterschool Day–scheduled for Tuesday, April 24–serving as a touchpoint for thought leaders, experts, and funders in this space to amplify our collective voice in support of SEL in afterschool and share best practices, success stories, and data.
Why SEL in Afterschool
We know SEL is a critical part of every child’s development. Likewise, afterschool and out-of-school time programming has a significant impact on students and provide young people with the opportunity to learn new things and build important skills through real-world experiences and engaging activities. When SEL and afterschool come together, amazing things can happen. Research tells us that students who regularly participate in high-quality afterschool programming with SEL elements report gains in social skills, behavior, empathy, and motivation–key social and emotional competencies that help them succeed in school, work, and life.
How to Participate
There are a variety of different ways organizations can participate in SEL in Afterschool Day. Some partners are publishing relevant reports on April 24, while others are submitting commentaries about the topic. Some examples of how you and your organization can participate include:
- Sharing announcements of grants for SEL in afterschool programs.
- Highlighting new efforts and publishing reports on existing programs and initiatives. Explain why you fund or collect data on SEL in afterschool, why you believe it is important for young people, and the impact it has made in the communities you serve.
- Posting blogs and social media content about efforts around or in support of high-quality SEL programming in afterschool using the hashtag #SELinAfterschool.
Thank you to these early adopters for jumping on board:
- Afterschool Alliance
- After-School All-Stars
- After School Matters
- American Youth Policy Forum (AYPF)
- Aspen Institute’s National Commission on Social, Emotional, Academic Development
- Ballmer Group
- Boys & Girls Clubs of America
- Children’s Institute
- Forum for Youth Investment
- Girls Inc.
- Greater Rochester After-School Alliance (GRASA)
- Higher Achievement
- National Afterschool Association (NAA)
- Salud America
- Singing for Change
- Susan Crown Exchange
- Wallace Foundation
- Weikart Center for Youth Program Quality
- Yale Center for Emotional Intelligence
We want to hear your ideas, too!
Share with us how you plan to participate in SEL in Afterschool Day in this Google Form.
WINGS is happy to help your organization participate in SEL in Afterschool Day! We can provide you with blog and social media content and graphics to share with your networks.We hope to create a growing collaborative of organizations and leaders in the field who continue to work together on promoting, celebrating, and expanding SEL in afterschool. If you have colleagues or partner organizations who you think would be interested in participating in SEL in Afterschool Day, please share with us their information in the Google Form or via email below.
To join WINGS for Kids as a partner in SEL in Afterschool Day, or to get more information about the effort, please contact Shaina Cook:
email@example.com or 202-266-4706.